It is one of the most dreaded occurrences as a vehicle owner - a breakdown on the road. It always seems to happen at the worst time and at the worst location, and never when we expect it! Although it can be extremely stressful, the first thing it do is to stay calm and try to get to safety as soon as possible. Breakdowns can put you at risk for car accidents if you are in a dangerous spot, so understanding your surroundings is important.
Here are some tips on what to do next:
- Turn on your emergency lights as soon as you can! This will indicate to other drivers on the road that something is wrong and will allow others to take precaution when driving around your vehicle.
- If you feel your car breaking down, get over to the side of the road in a safe area as soon as possible, and if possible. Sometimes we can feel our car slowly coming to a stop, and this is when you should try to safely get over to the roadside and out of the way of moving traffic.
- As soon as you are on the shoulder of the road and out of harm’s way, turn off your vehicle.
- Call a tow truck or roadside assistance. This will get a professional out to you quickly to assess the situation and get your vehicle off the road if needed.
- If your vehicle stops in the middle of the road and there’s nothing you can do, stay in your vehicle, turn on your hazard lights immediately, and call the police. They will be able to direct traffic away from your vehicle safely to avoid accidents.
- If your vehicle is going to be towed, call a local auto repair shop and see if they can take in your vehicle for an initial inspection. This will save you money on towing costs in the long run and help get your problem resolved quickly.
If you find yourself in a breakdown situation, the first thing you should do is make sure you are safe! If your vehicle needs a repair, you can give the experts a call here at Haglin Automotive.